THE ACTIVE PRODUCT
There has been growing concern about the state of the planet among the international community recently, and more and more talk of how to achieve sustainability.
Initiatives inspired by the Kyoto protocol for fighting climate change are leading to the birth of a new generation of materials which not only have a lesser environmental impact during their life cycle, but help improve air quality.
One of the pillars of the productive philosophy of the Iris Ceramica Group is respect for the principles of sustainable architecture, producing ceramics offering high technical and aesthetic performance in line with the parameters of sustainable architecture.
The examples of bioecological architecture of greatest interest for their future prospects are not single buildings but whole cities designed around people and the environment, known as eco-cities. New forms of urban and social ecology are being born; sustainability is becoming a social issue of key importance for quality of life.
Active Clean Air & AntibacterialCeramic™ is the perfect material for this purpose, an outstanding partner for reducing the gases primarily responsible for atmospheric pollution and acid rain.
Active Clean Air & AntibacterialCeramic™ is a useful tool for making up for a portion of the environmental impact of our lifestyle, reducing the effects caused by pollution and smog every day in harmony with the ecosystem thanks to the natural mechanism of photocatalysis.
Application of Active Clean Air & AntibacterialCeramic™ offers three benefits over conventional materials:
- ANTIPOLLUTANT. Purifying the air of organic and inorganic substances harmful to human health and the environment, such as nitrous oxides, sulphur oxides and carbon monoxide.
- ANTIBACTERIAL. Disinfecting surfaces characterised by the presence of bacteria such as Escherichia coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae and Staphylococcus aureus: pathogenic agents that can carry serious and even potentially lethal diseases.
- LESS ADHERENCE OF DIRT.Titanium dioxide has the property of attracting H2O (moisture) molecules naturally present in the air and retaining them on the surfaces of tiles to which it is applied, creating a situation in which it becomes much more difficult for dirt to adhere to the surfaces.
These three qualities are the fruit of the process of oxidation produced upon contact with a well-known photocatalyst, titanium dioxide (titanium oxide (IV) or E171), a product involving no risk to human health, the chemical formula for which is TiO2, CAS number 13463-67-7.
COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT
Socially responsible behaviour is one of MATIMEX's key goals. This goal is not limited to the usual commitments a company makes to its employees and other stakeholders.
The company is also involved in the issues facing today’s society and does what it can to make a concrete contribution addressing the biggest problems facing today’s society through its business policies. This is particularly true in the area of environment.
OUR COMMITMENT TO THE ENVIRONMENT:
Sustainable construction of the MATIMEX building: an architectural complex combining design and technology to serve the environment. Its eco-sustainable structure is characterised by:
- A northward geographic orientation, to prevent the rays of the sun from increasing energy consumption for cooling the offices in summer.
- Gardens planted with vegetation native to the local Mediterranean environment.
- Matimex ventilated façade with the Geos system installed in the building: an easily assembled structure that permits energy savings of around 35%, has no gaps between components (generating an authentic air chamber) and permits combination of different formats to suit the architect’s taste.
- Building made entirely out of glass to optimise use of sunlight.
- Presence of "skylights" to let natural light into windowless rooms.
Efficient use of resources: rational use of resources, reduction and correct disposal of wastes with reduced consumption of raw materials and energy; to achieve this Matimex uses:
- Switches with motion sensors to light up the washrooms and showroom.
- Energy-saving light bulbs.
- Computerised management of customers and employees to reduce paper consumption.
- Separation of wastes with containers for separate collection on the company’s premises.
Matimex's goal is to guarantee respect for the environment and customer satisfaction, responding to customers' needs in the most sustainable way possible and supplying innovative solutions permitting appropriate use of resources in an environmentally friendly way.